Our History

There is rich history here.  The Ohio River long formed the frontier of settlement.  A significant spiritual outpost in the 18th century was located just down the road at Service United Presbyterian Church.  Service’s pastor, John Anderson, was also a one man seminary.  Students would live and study with Rev. Anderson as they trained for the ministry. This seminary became a precursor of later institutions, including Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.

In the summer of 1876 some thirty members of the United Presbyterian Church of Hookstown and the Service United Presbyterian Church of Raccoon Township united in erecting a building on the J.A. Ingles farm, Route 18, Raccoon Township, in which to worship.  When the building was completed, Rev. D.W. Carson, pastor or the Service Church congregation, was asked to serve the new group.  At a meeting of the Presbytery in June 1877, a petition for a new organization named the Mt. Pleasant Congregation was granted.

On August 21, 1900 a fire destroyed the building. Most of the pews and pulpit furniture were not harmed, however.  The congregation quickly organized and rebuilt the burned-out structure.

For years the congregation shared a pastor with Service Church and then with Hanover United Presbyterian Church, Hanover Township.  The first full-time pastor was Reverend Richard Madsen in 1955.  Since then there has been remarkable pastoral stability, with Rev. D. Davis, Rev. D.R. Reinard, Rev. C.R. (Rob) Philips, Dr. R.H. Phillips, and, since 2001, Rev. Dr. Rich Herbster.

During the tenure of Rev. Rob Philips, new property (39 acres) was purchased and destined for a new church building.  In June 1997 construction began.  Many members of our congregation did much of the work to build the new building which is now full of activity nearly round the clock.  Plans are underway to expand the building.  The Hasten the Day Campaign will provide additional space for classrooms, adult education, and much more.

In recent years our congregation has experienced tremendous numeric and spiritual growth.  We are also delighted to have settled in a new denominational home in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

Since 1877, God has used Mt. Pleasant Church to minister to our community and throughout the world, and we are privileged to be a part of what he is continuing to do in our midst.

Sola Deo Gloria